Saturday, February 12, 2011

Outread Them!

"To read a book, one must be still. To watch a concert, a play, a movie, to look at a painting, one must also be still. Religion, too, makes use of stillness, notably with prayer and meditation. Gazing upon a lake in autumn or a quiet winter scene – that too lulls us into contemplative stillness. Life, it seems, favours moments of stillness to appear on the edges of our perception and whisper to us, “Here I am. What do you think?” Then we become busy  and the stillness vanishes, but we hardly notice because we fall so easily for the delusion of busyness, whereby what keeps us busy must be important and the busier we are with it, the more important it must be. And so we work, work, work, rush, rush, rush. On occasion we say to ourselves, panting, “Gosh, life is racing by.” But that’s not it at all, it’s the contrary: life is still. It is we who are racing by." (Yann Martel)


If you want to lead, you must read

What Is Stephen Harper Reading?: Yann Martel's Recommended Reading for a Prime Minister and Book Lovers of All StripesYann Martel is the Canadian author who won the Man Booker Prize for Life of Pi in 2002. I recently came across his newest book: a compilation of letters to Stephen Harper (sent to him every two weeks since 2007), under the charming and self-explanatory title: What Is Stephen Harper Reading?: Yann Martel's Recommended Reading for a Prime Minister and Book Lovers of All Stripes

While this is not a business book, nor is it related to the world of work in any direct way, its premise is based on a simple truth that makes it relevant for everyone: culture, and by extension, reading shapes us. “If you want to lead, you must read” says Martel, as he wonders (and I do along with him), what really shapes those who lead. “Once someone has power over me” he adds, “I have the right to probe the nature and quality of their imagination, because their dreams may become my nightmares.”

Reading can be transformative

Reading is one of my big passions in life. Like Martel, I believe that when done right, reading is transformative: it can ultimately shape lives. And I further agree that it is best appreciated when we take a moment to slow down, be still even. Coincidentally, it is in that same place, of reflection and stillness, that coaching conversations happen. And since I am an Executive Coach and I work with high profile, busy people all the time, I appreciate that it is not an easy task to strike a balance between a demanding career, personal responsibilities and a need for taking time to read and reflect. I can only encourage the readers, as I do with my clients, to do so whenever possible.

It makes perfect business sense as well

It is also worth adding that reading makes a perfect business sense – recent research indicates that those who read at least seven books a year earn over 2.3 times more than those who read only one. So how is that for a convincing argument? Now, back to books everyone!

House & Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...